Openings for PhD positions for 2020-21
Applied Distributed Systems Lab (ADSLab)
Posting date: March 2019
We are looking for 1-2 mature and motivated PhD students for the admission in Fall 2020 to work on distributed systems for big data management at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. We design, implement, evaluate large-scale systems with performance, dependability, scalability, and generality as key objectives, and aim to solve problems related to big data management.
We currently focus on two areas: (1) dependable distributed file and storage sytems; and (2) machine learning for data center and network management. Nevertheless, we are open to ideas that solve practical systems research problems.
We are now looking for new PhD students who are very knowledgeable with programming in C/C++/Python and have strong backgrounds/interests in large-scale prototype implementation related to distributed systems.
We emphasize a few important points:
- We aim for "fundamental and systems research with impact". Intellectual curiosity, dedication, and drive for success are qualities and values that we emphasize.
- Prof. Patrick Lee is actively participating in the research activities and closely working with students. We also emphasize students' careers after graduation.
- We aim for top systems conferences. We have track records of publishing at SIGCOMM, FAST, ATC, VLDB, INFOCOM, DSN, etc, most of which are listed as Rank A/B by China Computer Federation (CCF) (see CCF Ranking). Please refer to our publication list.
- We have strong connections with industry. Some of our work has been transferred to industry.
- PhD applicants can apply for "Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme", which provides very good stipend and financial support. If you are interested, please do a web search on "Hong Kong PhD Fellowship" and find the related information.
If you are interested in working with me, please contact Prof. Patrick Lee by email with your CV (including your GPA and class ranking).